Semi-Reluctant

Semi-Reluctant

…Actually more like “Demi-” or “Hemi-” Reluctant.

Ektar 100 on the Hasselblad.  Slight crop, no post-processing.

1/500s, F/4–Metering with the Lumu, which I’ve been using for quite some time (Thanks Bijan!)

11 thoughts on “Semi-Reluctant

1. Photographs by Peter says:

Once again, the true-to-life exquisite rendering of medium format film. Beautiful.

As an aside, I’ve followed the whole Lumu thing, and I’m curious as to why you and Bijan would use it instead of a light meter app on your iPhone, like I do.

2. Andy Gemmell says:

That’d be a keeper Mark! Nice!

I was going to ask the same question actually Peter. I don’t really need a meter though curious. It does look cool and I’d imagine given the hardware component it just may be a bit more accurate perhaps, in that gap between full light meter and straight App.

I also know Mark does like to measure the candlelight on those occasions when impressing his other half, so assume you use for this as well?? 🙂 Ambience is everything!

3. mewanchuk says:

Thanks Peter (and Andy!)

If you have a REAL light meter, you are a SERIOUS photographer.

In truth, however, there probably isn’t a whole lot of difference–I too use the “Light Meter” app on the iPhone, and depend on it regularly. In the end, I had to pay for something (I hate the ads on the app…) and decided to spring for the Lumu. The only time I find it to be of useful importance is in a scene of extremely varied (perhaps background…) lighting. The Lumu allows me to place the sensor on the precise spot I want to properly expose, and measure actual incident lighting. (Sure, the app allows for spot metering on a scene…but the Lumu has occasionally yielded some surprising results).

It allows me to blow out the highlights with complete confidence.

• Photographs by Peter says:

I paid the $1 for the “Light Meter” app… to eliminate the ads.

As for challenging lighting, seeing the entire scene on the iPhone screen is invaluable to me in determining how to properly set-up for the shot, so again, I’m not sure how it would improve things *for me*. I’m glad it’s working for you and Bijan though.

Thanks Mark,

Peter.

The Lumu app is also nice, in that it will let you meter multiple points, and come up with an “average exposure” for the area you’ve sampled.

…In any case, some of us don’t have a WHOLE DOLLAR to throw around like that.

4. Jason Timmis says:

Nice shot Mark. Classic medium format richness!
    I used the money I didn’t spend on the Iphone I don’t have to buy my a-c-t-u-a-l light meter….so I’ve got that dollar for the app right in my pocket.
    The meter really works for ‘shock and ahh’…first you shock them with the light meter (no one knows what it is you are jamming in their face). Then you ahh them with a rangefinder (that is, assuming you don’t have a camera with the size and shutter smack of a Hassey around to ahh them with)…works every time!!