La fin.

50-Roll-6

I have actually had these for quite some time, but have been avoiding posting them.

I don’t know why this post makes me so emotional–after all, the roll has long been dry, and there is plenty more film in the fridge to shoot…

But alas, The 50-Roll Project is now officially complete.

50-Roll-3

At first I made excuses (“I really didn’t do anything special for my final roll…”)

50-Roll-1

Then I thought: “If I don’t post it, it really isn’t over…”

50-Roll-5

It took 49 weeks;

Meaning somehow I actually managed to shoot more than one roll per week.

And one year has passed.

One whole year;

But only one year.

Somehow, it seems longer…but shorter all the same.

50-Roll-7

Most of these aren’t all that compositionally stunning…

Some of them are a little repetitious.

But they have been life around here…and time just refuses to stand still.

50-Roll-2

So to those of you who have stuck with us: Thank you–you know who you are.

Thank you to the friends I have made, and to Peter especially for starting me down this road.

50-Roll-4

If time (and this experience…) have taught me one thing, it is simply this:  Pick up your camera–whatever it is–and shoot.

You will not regret it.

You will be glad for the moment…

Sad, perhaps, that it is gone;

But eagerly anticipating the next one.

(Now what to do with all these negatives…)

50-Roll-8

Warmly and sincerely,

-Mark

(For those of you just joining us now…the other forty-nine rolls may be found here)

26 thoughts on “La fin.

1. agplatt says:

Thank you Mark for showing us your talent and beautiful family the last year. It really had been a privilege to follow you. In addition to the pictures your amazing humor was a delight.

2. Abilio says:

It has been such an honor to follow your site and see the beautiful ways in which you have photographed the most important people in your life. Your love and gratitude for your family is so evident through your work and so uplifting to see. Congratulations Mark!

3. andygemmell says:

One whole year……oh my goodness!!

Congratulations Mark on achieving what I consider to be a BIG project. I really admire just how prolific and disciplined you have been with your photography during this. And of course the results!

It’s provided us with a window to a wonderful family and when everything else that is crazy in this world is going on around us….this is a window I choose to remind me how good it can be.

Thank you so much Andy.

I certainly consider myself beyond fortunate…and while watching the world around us, it is hard not to be fearful for those trying to grow up in it!

As someone once said: “it is like having your heart walking around outside your body”–on multiple counts!

Thank you for your ongoing support and companionship.

4. greg g49 says:

Ancient Chinese saying: the journey of 10,000 miles begins with the first 50 rolls, or something like that. Been fun. Thanks; great privilege, really, to have tagged along from time to time.

5. Karen says:

Say you’re not shutting down your site or your regular posts just because this project is done! The world will be a darker place without your bright light if so. Thank you for the opportunity you have given us to experience life through childlike eyes and a talented lens.

6. Jason Timmis says:

Well if your wife is like mine she’ll thank you for freeing up some of the fridge space. 😉

Of course I’m diminishing the great moments and images you have shared with us! Seeing the difference in your kids it’s hard to believe it has only been year.
    Here’s to continued enthusiasm in what every you do next.

Jason.

Jason,

Problem is, there’s less room in the fridge than ever now!!

Thank you for your warm comments, and ongoing support.

Best regards,

7. Photographs by Peter says:

I may have handed you the box of film, but you ran away with it Mark.

No doubt about it, Time *will* Stand Still, in your lovingly prepared frames.

Congratulations,

—Peter | Prosophos.

8. Ondrej Caska says:

Mark. Congratulations. It has been a pleasure and a great source of inspiration for me to see your 50 rolls project. I am looking forward to seeing your another one in the future 🙂

Ondra

Ondra,

Thank you so much–it has been a true pleasure to make your acquaintance. I think it is time we saw another project from you!

Warmest regards,

Hey Andy!

…Not on holidays (at least not yet!) But definitely contemplating early retirement.

I think the blog has kind of run its course for me, so this was intended to be my last post for a bit. (Hence the mysterious and enigmatic title…)

I’m not sure what the future holds for the site at present–I may switch to more sporadic articles (much like your own site…) or shut the whole thing down entirely. I plan to leave the content and the projects up for a bit, and see where time takes me. I have had a few changes here (all good ones–some you wouldn’t even believe if I told you right now!) and am still shooting tons…so right now, it is just “one day at a time”.

Don’t be a stranger though…(and high time for some Mamiya work from you!!)

• andygemmell says:

You mean…..another little Baby J!! :-)….that’s called “craziness”….

I take my hat off to you for how much shooting you have been doing/do! Sporadic articles for me!

Next one is your genre….family! It’ll be up in a 2-3 weeks and you can get to see some of my children…for a change!

I’ll be in touch and actually have a favour looming….if you are keen!

Andy!

Ha ha ha ha…No.

That would just be bonkers.

My changes are much less dramatic–cameras and decisions and software and such. Sorry to disappoint!

Anyway, happy to help out. Give me a shout anytime–you know where to find me.

9. Abilio says:

The week just hasn’t been the same without your daily posts Mark…now realizing what a bright spot in my day they were! All the best in whatever direction you choose to go 🙂

10. Luiz Paulo says:

What a journey… so pleasant to watch.
    Somehow you did the time stood still in a such enjoyable way.
    Missing your daily posts…
    All the best for you and yours.

It has been a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

There may be more in store for me shortly…I too am going into withdrawal!!

All the best, M.