6 thoughts on ““It’s For You…”

1. greg g49 says:

I’m not much for guessing lenses for rangefinders, since I don’t use them myself and, as a result, lack 1st hand experience with any of them. But if Germany’s calling, that would seem to limit things to Leica and Zeiss and you say it’s not the one we’d think. So, I suppose that argues Zeiss, but this color rendition seems too cool for Zeiss glass, which always seems warmer to me (one of the issues, I thought, Peter had with his D800/Otus combo) so now I’m officially lost. So maybe Germany is calling to complain about you buying a new Voigtlander Heliar 75/1.8? You already have the lovely Summicron 75, right?.

And then maybe this is really a 50 mm lens and I’m a doddering old fool… well, that’s probably true notwithstanding my futile lens guesses. 😉

Greg,

You may be confused, because I actually misled you. Truth be told, I should have said “Canada Calling (from Germany)”.

Does that help?

2. greg g49 says:

Dodder, dodder, dodder… I’m confused because I live there.

With that info though, I’d guess were looking at a classic Leica. But which one? As a Leica historian, I make a good carpenter and, in fact, I am a woeful carpenter, so I essentially know nothing about what lenses Leica built in Canada. There were some 90 crons, but this just isn’t tight enough for that. And there were 50 cron’s both m f/2’s and f/2’s and also some 50 lux’s, pre-asph. I’m quite undecided on whether the background is blurred enough to be 1.4, but the focus is pretty much razor thin, already losing the buttons which aren’t far behind the plane of her eyes, though they’re well below, so maybe that’s field curvature, which doesn’t help, although I presume the lux had more of that than the cron’s. So final answer Regis, pre-asph 50 lux, made in Canada, of course.

Greg,

Outstanding reasoning…and a VERY close guess…but you’re about a half-stop off!

This is a V3 Noctilux…Made in Canada, and eventually returned here. I’ve been keeping my eye out for one of these for awhile…this one was too good a deal to pass up. It looks like it was made in the early 80’s. The seller was in Germany (which is kind of amusing) but at least I didn’t pay a pile of tax! Focus is absolutely bang-on, and the glass is perfect. It is surprisingly smaller than the newest generation.

Thanks for playing along!

3. greg g49 says:

Congratulations. What I kept neglecting to say above was that, whatever the lens, it rendered beautifully.

I’d never have guessed a Noct, since I couldn’t really see any swirl to the OOF bits, which (apparently wrongly) I associate with all earlier versions of that lens. I’ll look forward to more examples, this one is lovely for sure.

4. Karim D. Ghantous (@kdghantous) says:

Another winning shot of Baby J! What a cute little chicka.

Who said the Producer is a better photographer than you are? But you make a good team: Baby J, a nine month project courtesy of the Producer; photo, courtesy of you. Fair? 😛