12 thoughts on “Timeless

1. PhotographsbyPeter.com says:

I like them both too. Not sure you want to hear this Mark, but if I had to choose one, I’d pick the Mamiya/Portra combination.

But they are certainly both timeless…

Well done!

โ€”Peter.

Thanks Peter!

Unsurprisingly, I had already come to the same conclusion as you–Plus, I’ve had a bit of a recent epiphany with my developing, so (as much as I would like to move it along…) my MF gear isn’t going anywhere any time soon.

Have a great weekend,
      -Mark

2. Karim Ghantous says:

Personally I much prefer the Portra shot. Maybe the M9 file needs a bit of saturation, although it is very clean. I’d love to see M9 vs Portra 160 vs Portra 400 (both 35mm). Or something like that.

The Noctilux is too soft. Sell the damned thing, buy yourself a present and bank the rest. I saw one go for $5,000 on eBay. That lens is definitely not worth even $1,000 in my book. But that is just me and my opinion. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. mewanchuk says:

Thanks Karim,

The V3 f/1 Noct is definitely a character lens. I, for one, really like the unique output it produces. It is worth noting, however, that the M9 file was intentionally processed with a very specific look in mind: It was desaturated, and the colors were tweaked for a “vintage” look–this is certainly not out-of-camera in any respect.

4. greg g49 says:

Each has its merits, but (insert “grain of salt” footnote here) the first one has, I think, a more “mischievous/alluring” expression from your lady; the tree to her side (despite the “berries” are sweet in the other image) is my preference for composition; and with the rest of the scene so delightfully chill, the warmth of skin tone, hat/lip gloss, and creamier coat give it a nice balance… sorry, I suppose I should have just said I liked that one better. ๐Ÿ˜‰

5. Jason Timmis. says:

Well I’ll bite…on this one. Yes, both are great. I have to give the ‘if I had to choose’ nod to the M9/Nocti. The dreamy / creamy really does it for me. The finer resolution of the MF and the grain in the film add an edge of too much detail….dare I say sharpness…that I think is just a tiny bit of a minus.
    ….Show me the feeling of the person not what the person looks like would be another way to say it I guess. I get more connection to ‘feel’ in the M9 shot.
    Awesome either way!

Thanks Jason!

I totally get where you are coming from–I wanted to post these together to show two very different renderings of the same scene. Oddly (as you point out…) the digital version is more “dreamy” and less precise, and the film version is sharper, with more detail. Incidentally, the final resolution of each file was about the same (18MP M9, 20.4MP scan).

Great to hear from you again!