Cityscape – Film

Cityscape-2

I realize this is just a boring ‘ole cityscape, but this is my first attempt at something like this.

(Why?  To say that I could, of course–That, and my standard answer…)

This was shot Mirror-up, on a tripod, 6 second exposure, f/11 @ ISO 400.

Incidentally, I also did this to prove that I have solved my color development woes: No magentas in the shadows, and the blacks are BLACK!

I’m a fan…even if it is cliché.

10 thoughts on “Cityscape – Film

Thanks for your comment, and for stopping by Stephan.

I tried to have a look at your site, but noticed it has been dismantled (or not assembled yet?). I am intrigued by your title and avatar!

1. mikeyjive says:

How’d you fix the magenta shadow tendency? Shooting predominantly green shadows? Just kidding. Actually, eager to learn what you’ve discovered since I’ve been considering leaving the Porta for the pro-lab (fuji film seems to tolerate the Tetenal kit better for me).

MJ!

I was hoping you’d show up for this!

With any luck, I should have an explanation up later today or tomorrow.

No big surprises though…

2. Karim Ghantous says:

It’s a beautiful shot and the image quality is so nice. So it isn’t boring! The characteristics of film are quite obvious in the lower half of the frame. It is not very sharp though – I wonder why that is? I mean, this is 6×4.5 after all.

Hi Karim,

I think the cause for the apparent lack of sharpness is twofold: One, I didn’t use a cable release; and Two, there is definitely some coma around the light sources due to the lens and the prolonged exposure. As you can see, the edges of the buildings and lines are quite distinct.

3. Karim Ghantous says:

I have an idea to add: maybe because you effectively overexposed the buildings. Anything too much more than 1/2 a stop will cause some softness. But whatever – it just looks so sumptuous. I’d love to see this compared to an M. I’m guessing we’ll see two very different renderings. And I’m guessing I’ll prefer this one!

Karim,

I think you’re quite right. I was going to add that as an afterthought, but you beat me to it!

(And thanks again!)