I finally sat down and tried to go through my photos tonight to pick my favorite 10 of the year…
I realized that I simply didn’t have a hope.
For starters, there were way too many.
Secondly, I realized that I needed categories in order to even make it a fair fight.
Quite simply, “digital” got its patootie handed to it by film. (It was really like bringing a knife to a gun fight…)
Next, I realized that I probably needed a second category for Medium Format, and one additional for B&W…
In any case, I finally decided to go with my favorite ten digital images, and my favorite ten film images.
Judging is still in process.
Here is some wisdom I picked up along the way:
- I really should have done this sooner–it helped me to identify my strengths, and where my time was best spent.
- I still LOVE B&W photography.
- I shot a LOT more film than digital.
- I took more creative risks with digital–and they seemed to pay off.
- I need to shoot a lot more even–Those darn kids are growing up WAY too fast.
- I will be shooting a lot more Superia…Gosh I love the stuff.
- My favorite shots (and focal lengths) are tight and close…Maybe I don’t actually need to change that.
- MF is a HUGE pile of effort…but when it pays off, man oh man…
- When a shot grabbed my attention, I actually didn’t look to see what it was shot with.
- The best shots come when you least expect them.