The Countess

Countess

Under Her Majesty’s careful guidance, the Velvia experimentation continues.

This is Roll #4.Β  The manufacturer recommends five rolls of 120 total on the one pint kit ($24 CAD–cheaper than having it lab developed!) so we’ll see how the next one turns out.

-Mark

10 thoughts on “The Countess

1. Karim D. Ghantous (@kdghantous) says:

Beautiful! Love the colour, vibrance, light, composition, etc. And of course the subject. πŸ™‚ I’m already missing her curl. I regret that I can’t really call her Baby J anymore. I just like saying “Baby J”. To quote The Joker in ‘Batman’, “I just like the sound of it.” This one is probably destined for the wall – if there is any space left?

BTW I still think that this lens is soft. But don’t despair, so is the Contax Zeiss 80/2. πŸ˜›

Thanks Karim,

This one was shot handheld at 1/50s, focused from quite a ways above her…and she wasn’t really standing still!

Anyway, I agree: I’m not sure how many more “Baby J” days there are left!!

2. andygemmell says:

Yep….nice one Mark.

I used to really love Velvia when using film, though I grew away from it over time preferring Portra and Ektar. It’s nice to see it on the scene again here and it’s distinct rendering.

Thanks Andy.

I do love the colors–the negatives themselves are like little pictures!

Six more rolls to go on my ‘mini project’…unfortunately I now find myself without a MF camera, as I await the arrival of the 7II. In addition, there may now be a bit of a hiatus until we get some light…I will not have the luxury of the big bright f/1.9 lens of the 645.

Hope you’re well,

3. greg g49 says:

Really charming brooch. πŸ˜‰

Re: the “Baby J” discussion, I have thought for a time that this littlest one reminds me most strongly of the Lady of Ewanchuk Estates, aka The Producer. While it’s surely in her look, I think even more in her mannerisms, the way she holds herself and uses her hands. Some of that could be just copying the most important person in her life (sorry Dad), but I think, perhaps, not all.

Thanks very much Greg…you always notice the small details. (And I had to root around in my desk drawer to find a suitable-sized brooch!)

πŸ˜‰