Incidentally

Cinestill50-8

Incidentally, there are two things you need to be aware of today:

• Iftimestoodstill just turned 2!  (Ah yes, the “terrible twos…”).  I previously thought it was the 15th of March.  Looking back, it was actually the 15th of February.  Because I missed the party, we will be holding it today!  99,180 Views and 2, 265 CommentsThanks everyone for your ongoing support!!  It is a pleasure having you here, and sharing in our lives.
  • In celebration, yesterday I ruined my first roll of color film.  (Yay!)

Trying to be extra smart (the chemicals were nearly expired…) I decided to put the 35mm roll in the large tank.  Unfortunately I forgot to replace the dark middle spindle with the LONG replacement.  I got the film in, twisted on the funnel, and pulled it out of the bag.  To my horror and surprise, I was staring down at the white plastic film reel.

Cinestill50-1

EEEEEEEEK!!!

I quickly covered up the hole, and threw the canister back in the bag.  I knew they were likely ruined, but decided to replace the proper spindle and try and develop them anyway.

As it turns out, I am extremely glad I did.

This is Cinestill 50D (Daylight balanced cinema film).  The final three were taken indoors at ISO 50, which was a bit of a feat.

Cinestill50-2

Love ’em, or hate ’em (I am actually going to have to insist that you “love ’em” because I do…) I think they have a certain feeling of “Joy and Sunshine”.

Despite their “Instagram-y-ness” I hope you enjoy.

Cinestill50-3

Cinestill50-15

Cinestill50-16

Cinestill50-17

Cinestill50-18

16 thoughts on “Incidentally

1. PhotographsbyPeter.com says:

Congratulations Mark on the site turning 2!

Too bad about the film developing error, but the loveliness of the images shines through.

Speaking of which, I see the weather has taken a turn for the warmer there… the snow is melting. Same is happening here… Yay!

Thanks very much Peter!

I know these aren’t really your style (from a “purist” point of view…) but I do quite like the end result.

…a fortuitous error, I would say.

(Actually, I got sloppy!)

Anyway, I appreciate your ongoing friendship and support.

Glad to hear the winter is lifting there too…there is photographic hope!!

2. Karim D. Ghantous (@kdghantous) says:

Mark, congratulations on the anniversary! Although I only found your blog last year, I’ve pretty much seen every entry – but I still haven’t gone through all the frames in the 50-roll project yet…

You know, just two days ago, I was thinking, should I suggest to Mark that he try CineStill 50? Well, now I know what your answer would have been. 😉 I wonder how it handles overexposure? Some films shine, some films don’t.

Sorry about the mess up but I think I can get an idea of what sort of images the film produces: grainless and smooth. Perhaps not every application requires zero grain. After all, look at how beautiful Rollei CR200 or Fujicolor 400 are, grain and all. But it’s good to have the option.

I suspect that this film is equivalent to 36-50Mpx. If you ever get a chance to borrow a 50/2 APO or a Zeiss Otus, it would be interesting to see what it can resolve. In any case, huge, clear enlargements would be possible.

Thanks Karim–

I’m pretty sure you HAVE seen almost every post…you’ve commented on ones I don’t even remember!

Thanks again,

3. greg g says:

Happy second! All the light-leak flare does give these a great “first sunny warm day” look. Love the boots, the jaunty helmut angle (E.D.) and Baby J in the “Future’s So Bright” shades.

Been fun following. Keep it up!

4. Joe shoots resurrected cameras says:

I guess it’s a good thing you weren’t shooting an ASA800 film! I agree with you, the flaws are actually nice, and what’s really nice is that you have a story for why they look that way, and it wasn’t done with algorithms, and it wasn’t done because everyone else is doing it or because it looks “cool.” And remember, these aren’t “instagram-y,” instagram just attempts to emulate the film look without having to put in any work. Still, I think the Lomographic Society would approve of these pics.

Happy Anniversary!

Thanks Joe!

I guess they are more “Lomo” than Instagram…

Anyway, it’s been great making your acquaintance–thanks for your support!

5. Luiz Paulo says:

Congratulatios Mark. Yours daily posts bring a peace and a smile every once. Hope these two years shall multiplied by 10 times.

All my best,

Happy anniversary! The two sunglasses and the last are my favorites. With the weather getting better, it sure is hard to keep shooting just the Double-X constantly – and all this color stuff you are posting isn’t helping!

Thanks Jordan!

Despite my love for B&W, it is definitely nice to have the color option–that’s really why I never fell totally in love with the MM, despite the images it produces.