Just One More Reason…

FilmIsDumb-1

…Why film is so dumb.

FilmIsDumb-2

Quick trip to Vancouver this weekend–shot a roll of Tri-X 400.

Developed last night, and the negatives were nearly OPAQUE.

FilmIsDumb-3

Thought that perhaps my fixer was exhausted, so re-fixed with fresh solution–to no avail.  Then it dawned on me: The roll was probably cooked by the airport bag scanner.

(Unfortunately I was in a bit of a rush, and packed a bunch of film in my checked luggage, instead of taking with me on my carry-on).

😦

Bad idea.

I double-checked all of my steps, and this is the only possibility I can think of (ISO was set and shot correctly, correct amount of developer was mixed properly, timing was accurate, no light leaks present, etc…) It is interesting how the negatives are more cooked at the bottom end–one end of the roll was probably closest to the emitter.

In any case, the confirmation will be a few rolls of 100 ISO B&W, and 400 ISO Color films that were also packed in the same bag.  It will be interesting to see how they fared…but I am not hopeful.

Silly, silly me.

Nonetheless, the images (while damaged) are still memorable for a variety of reasons.

FilmIsDumb-4

…So am I smart enough to quit?

Heavens no, my friends!

Not just yet.

(Besides, there is still one roll in the camera…that one should be fine).

FilmIsDumb-5

FilmIsDumb-6

FilmIsDumb-7

FilmIsDumb-8

FilmIsDumb-9

FilmIsDumb-10

FilmIsDumb-11

FilmIsDumb-12

FilmIsDumb-13

FilmIsDumb-14

14 thoughts on “Just One More Reason…

1. bijansabet says:

I’m so sorry about this Mark.

My brother recently shot a whole roll only to find out that the film wasn’t loaded properly. I’ve made that same mistake.

But I’m still drawn to film. I can’t help it.

I will say the photos are lovely regardless.

-bijan

Thanks very much Bijan.

I’m like you, in that I can’t swear it off, no matter how hard I try. While I’ve got the “loading” thing down, I guess the occasional “roll issue” is all just part of the mystique!

2. PhotographsbyPeter.com says:

They look good to me Mark… sort of a reverse vignetting (or reverse “bottom-horizontally-ing”) effect going on.

The moments, and likeness of loved ones, are still captured… which is all that counts anyway.

I think they almost have a “flash-backey-cinematic” feel to them. I’m not sure if that’s any more accurate than “bottom-horizontally-ing” but I agree I kinda like them!

Thanks very much Jordan. Let’s agree that they are both: “Bottom-horizontally-ing” AND “Flash-backey-cinematic”.

4. Karim D. Ghantous (@kdghantous) says:

Actually, you know what? Image quality and reliability is no easy thing. No matter what the media. Simple as that. So you lose a few rolls. Well, I recall reading on a forum that a cinematographer almost lost an expensive, complicated shot due to a very rare storage error on the card.

I have lost an entire set of photos from 2012. I don’t mean that I deleted them by accident – I lost them. They have disappeared into thin air. I don’t even remember if I backed them up. If they were mine I truly wouldn’t give two bits. But they were a client’s. Thankfully it’s non-critical and nobody really cares. But it was a close one.

5. Karim D. Ghantous (@kdghantous) says:

P.P.S. I agree with the above comments that some of them actually look good! The one that works best is #13. So, some can be saved after all, without the need to ‘repair’ anything. I’m not being nice, just honest. 🙂

6. Jason Timmis says:

Sorry we couldn’t have had the weather just a tad better for you.

…and that you didn’t call ahead 😉