20 thoughts on “On The Beach

1. Karim D. Ghantous says:

Dear lord. These are beautiful! Not just the light but everything else. To repeat myself, I’d kill to see these optically printed on huge, glossy paper.

I like the fact that you have your own style and you aren’t trying to copy that overused (but admittedly nice) overexposed, bright & airy look that a lot of film shooters gravitate to. (And have you seen how much some of these photographers charge for a half-hour shoot??).

BTW number 5 is a bit soft – what happened there? Scanning error? Or is the lens just soft wide-open?

What a shame digital can’t look like this. πŸ˜‰

Thanks for the compliment Karim.

Regarding the “softness” you perceive: Unfortunately I just don’t see what you see–all I see is a beautiful memory of my family playing on the beach.

2. Peter | Prosophos says:

The prominence of *gold* in the colour palette is like visual honey… just makes one feel good.

Wonderful images Mark. Can’t wait to see what else you have lined up.

β€”Peter.

3. -N- says:

Altogether a lovely series. Having everyone dressed for summer and the beach adds to the overall sense of lightness, as does the California sun. Portra, being Portra, enhances everything as well. Job well done!

4. greg g says:

Like everybody else, I love these (and the previous couple posts, too) but wanted to single out the very first one here for special attention. That looks in tone and rendition (if rather sharper than the painters) like an impressionist beach scene. Love the anticipation and compositional lines as well as the beautiful light and similar outfits of the “girls”. Marvelous!

PS. Did you actually wait for them to all be on the same stride?

Many thanks Greg.

Of COURSE I did wait for the exact, precise moment I wanted to capture, because I am SO good at focusing on unpredictable people moving away from me quickly…

πŸ˜‰

5. Jason Timmis says:

Ah yessss. Nothing like great light to inspire. Looks like a great time was had by all!

• andygemmell says:

Im standing waiting for my bags. Just got in from LA! Film dropped in tomorrow.

Landscapes…never done this before apart from odd snap….film…filters…not convinced the metering for this in Mamiya so good.

It could be a mess πŸ˜•