O Frabjous Day!

SL66-6

Callooh! Callay!

The camera of wonders returned yesterday!

…So I promptly ran around the house taking photos of my lovely and willing family.

SL66-5

SL66-4

SL66-3

SL66-2

That is–until The Producer told me that “If I didn’t stop pointing that thing in peoples’ faces, it was going to go up my a$&”.

(Sure, she was smiling when she said it…but I think she might have been serious).

SL66-1

…and it is NOT a small camera…at all.

For those of you that haven’t guessed yet despite all the hints (ahem…Jordan) Or those that didn’t even bother to guess because you don’t care…this is the Rolleiflex SL66 with 80mm Planar lens.

(With apologies to Lewis Carroll and “The Jabberwocky”)

11 thoughts on “O Frabjous Day!

Thanks very much Bijan!

Say…your wife doesn’t seem like the type that would physically threaten you with a camera…

Perhaps I am taking too many photos?

First off, there are some doozies in there. The last and third in particular are pretty fantastic.

Second, I get the same reaction from Mrs. J – but now that you’ve singled me out I hope she holds no quarter 🙂

2. -N- says:

Congratulations on the new arrival . . . I’m jealous!

And to celebrate, with even more abject apologies to Mr. Carroll:

‘Twas brillig and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Mewanchuk, my son!
    The heavy lens, the 120 film!
    Beware the SL66, and shun
    The frumious Rolleiflex!”

He took his Rodinal in hand:
    Long time the proper temp he sought —
    So rested he by the grey-scale tree
    And focused awhile in thought.

And as in s-curve thought he stood,
    The Mewanchuk, with eyes of flame,
    Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
    And developed as he came!

One, two! One two! And through and through
    The Rodinal went snicker-snack!
    He let it sit, and with its head,
    He went be and double you-ing back.

“And has thou found the Mewanchuk?
    Come to my arms, my sous-vide boy!
    O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
    He chortled in his joy.

‘Twas brillig and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Naomi,

Brilliant!!!

Thanks for the poem…you made me smile. (I especially like the part about the flaming eyes…and S-curve thought!)

3. Karim D. Ghantous says:

Some great shots there! I think the last one is my favourite, because I can imagine the Producer saying, with that big huge grin, that she’ll shove your camera where the sun doesn’t shine. 😉

4. andygemmell says:

First and last for me the standouts……I’m assuming this wasn’t the first time you’ve been threaten like this before. Lets just hope it wasn’t the second time….three strikes and you know what happens!

How do you rate this vs Blad 500, 501, etc

Thanks Andy!!

…bigger, heavier, and boxier, but with WAY more creative opportunities. The close focus (and reversible lenses for macro!) are just amazing.

The problem is, there were relatively less of them made, and they generally seem to be in worse shape–finding one in usable condition (that doesn’t need a ton of work) seems to be fairly tricky.