JCH StreetPan 400

JCHStreetPAN-1

These are taken with the recently released “JCH StreetPAN 400” lovingly brought to market by Bellamy himself.  Congratulations, Bellamy on bringing something to new and exciting to the analog film community!

The only downside is that it is too thin for the Pakon to scan (and does not have DX markings…) so has to be scanned manually frame-by-frame.

JCHStreetPAN-2

JCHStreetPAN-3

JCHStreetPAN-6

JCHStreetPAN-4

JCHStreetPAN-7

JCHStreetPAN-5

I think I must have stepped on a four-leaf clover in the last one, because our basement flooded last night.  If anyone needs me, I’ll be cleaning it…

13 thoughts on “JCH StreetPan 400

1. Joe shoots resurrected cameras says:

So the Pakon refuses to scan it? Tri-X doesn’t have proper DX markings so that wouldn’t bother me, but how would the thickness of the film affect the Pakon’s ability to scan it? (I read somewhere that Double-X is thinner than standard as well, that did fine for me) Thanks for the heads up though, I scan all my film and don’t need the hassle if I can’t use my Pakon. Looks like a good-looking film and I planned on helping Bellamy out at some point, but I still don’t understand why we needed another ASA400 black & white film anyway.

Hi Joe,

I’m not sure what the precise issue is, but I have the exact same problem with Ilford Pan-F 50, and Rollei Retro 80S (two of my favourite films!! 😢)

The combination of thin polyester base, “thin” negatives, and lack of DX coding seems to make the Pakon just “give up” about three frames in–It doesn’t matter how you try to scan it. You can’t even do cut strips of three or four frames each–it just spits out an error code and quits scanning.

Anyway, it’s nice stuff (I’d like to know what it actually “was” in its former life…apparently he re-purposed an old formula and manufacturing facility…) but I’m not sure it would be my go-to over something like Eastman, HP5, or Tri-X.

• Joe shoots resurrected cameras says:

If I remember, AGFA-Gaevert manufactured it for him, and its one of the old AGFA traffic surveillance films from the ’90s.

I had no idea there were film emulsions out there that could break the Pakon, but thanks for further heads-up. I guess the scanner isn’t quite as almighty as I thought, eh? Then again, maybe it’s just the 135 model and I’ll be fine :b :b

…oh you HAD to go there, Joe.

😀

I’ll send you a roll of each film, and see how you make out–I’d certainly be curious to know the result. (Email me your address and I’ll hook you up!)

• Joe shoots resurrected cameras says:

Well thank you, I never refuse free film! I asked the guys on the Pakon Facebook page about this, and they mentioned the polyester base as well! I don’t know how the F135 works, but they said it could be the fact that it only has C41 black & white mode in PSI. I’m not sure of the exact procedure, but there might be a script mod in their download section, and also, did you try TLX?

2. Karim D. Ghantous (@kdghantous) says:

Firstly: this is another really nice set. So, well done. AGAIN. 😛

This film does look nice. The advantage of the polyester base is actually overlooked by a lot of people: you can fit more exposures into one cassette. And whatever that is, double it for half frame. You could conceivably capture an entire holiday on a couple of rolls of polyester based film if you’re shooting a Pen F. 😉

Thanks Karim, for the info.

There is actually another benefit too: it lies FLAT as heck when you develop it–No curling whatsoever.

Looks pretty nice to me! As far as what it is, I have read from (for some reason) disgruntled RFF members its Aviphot Pan 400S PE1 (Discontinued) which is similar to Rollei 400s. Tech sheet here:

Either way I think its pretty cool that 1) Bellamy has his OWN film and 2) That he had the gumption and testicular fortitude to bring it to market. Good for him, I only wish him the best of luck. In my opinion the more film there is on the market, and the more people shooting film in general, the longer the big boys/girls in town will make the more common stuff.

Thanks Jordan for the link–not sure why the RFF gang would be up-in-arms (other than initial price offering, perhaps…hopefully it will come down with time!) I completely agree with you on the sheer scope of the accomplishment…I certainly won’t be releasing my own film any time soon!!

4. -N- says:

I’ve been wondering about Bellamy’s film and am glad to see good examples of it. The ones I have seen appeared far too short in scale, so these are especially nice. Besides that, you got some nice shots . . . and sitting at the Pakon isn’t as awful as having your teeth drilled, don’t ya think?