I learned something more…

proviasun-1

So apparently slide film is very intolerant of underexposure.  I think it is because the negatives are so dense.  These were all about a stop under (except for maybe the fourth one…) and I just can’t really pull them back in LR at all.

Anyway, they have a nice “vintage memory” ethos about them, so I guess I really can’t complain.

proviasun-2

proviasun-3

proviasun-4

proviasun-5

13 thoughts on “I learned something more…

1. greg g says:

I’m a big fan of these, Mark, especially the second and closer of the bubble images. Great feel, as you say. However they were originally exposed they’re now quite aesthetically spot on. And though it’s been so very long since my direct experience with the medium, as I recall over exposed slide film is even worse than under. Wonderful series!

Many thanks, Greg!

I was thinking that some mild over-exposure would have helped–thanks for setting me straight!

I am coming to the conclusion that slide film is, on the whole, pretty unforgiving…but when it is ON, it is SO ON.

If we could only get slide film that was as forgiving as Portra…now that would be something! Makes you wonder if Kodak would have come up with something different if digital never came along. I still like all these, and especially like the coloring one of Baby J from yesterday.

3. Karim D. Ghantous says:

You are blessed to live with such wondrous creatures. 😉 Lovely set. Compositionally the last one is my pick, but my personal favourite is the second-last one. You can definitely feel the love in that shot, no question!

I agree with JK – why can’t anyone make a positive film which behaves like negative film? It would be easy to scan and have a wide latitude. It would be low contrast, so you’d need to print or scan it, but it would be a great compromise between slides and negatives.

Thanks very much Karim…I think the 2nd last one was the only one that was truly exposed correctly!

(and I am VERY fortunate…)

4. Joe shoots resurrected cameras says:

Interesting, considering the Plustek claims to have a DMax range of 4.1 (you did use multiexposure, I hope). I have limited experience with slide film, but first of all: what do the slides look like on a light table? I would assume they look good, but one thing I’d wonder about is the age of this film and/or how it was stored, as that can have an effect. I never shot 400X but I did lots of bracketing when first shooting slide film and found Provia 100F to have quite good latitude for a slide film, showing some color changes at +/-1 stop but not much more; still easy to tell which is the correct exposure though.

To agree with what everyone else has said, slide film’s details are all in the shadows so overexposure is not recommended. A lot of people tend to underexpose slide film by 1/3-1/2 stop, either to be on the safe side or to get the richer colors. I would recommend some in-date Provia 100F or Velvia 100 from a reputable dealer and see what that does for you.

Thanks Joe–some great points.

Honestly, I think I just metered incorrectly, or intentionally underexposed by mistake. Expiry on this box is 09-2017, so definitely in-date. I did use ME, but I do think the DMax on the Plustek is overstated somewhat.

Anyway, the colours are beautiful, but I’m not sure the E6 films are worth the extra hassle in this day and age…

• Joe shoots resurrected cameras says:

I hate to see you give up so easily! It can be worth it, but that roll of Provia just looks wrong, whether it’s the film itself or the scanner I don’t know, but it’s not supposed to look like that and I don’t think your exposure is to blame.