Noritsu vs Pakon – FIGHT!

While I ready Roll #2 for your enjoyment, I thought I would post these here for your perusal.

This is a quick comparison of the native output from the Noritsu LS-600 and the Pakon F135+ at equivalent resolution.  These are straight off each scanner.  The Pakon is outputting at its highest resolution (3000 x 2000) while this value represents the mid-level for the Noritsu.

Noritsu file first, with Pakon following…

Colour correction appears fairly similar.

Aside from minor differences in framing and white balance, the files appear fairly similar at first glance.  One hundred percent crops below–Noritsu at left, Pakon on the right

On closer inspection the Noritsu appears to output more grain (and grain-level sharpness) with the Pakon rendering a “smoother” file.  Despite equivalent resolutions, there also appears to be more detail preserved.  (This may, in part, be due to the ability to fine-tune scanner focus on the Noritsu).  Furthermore, the Noritsu tends toward a “greener” file, with the Pakon rendering slightly more toward the warmer/violet side.

Noritsu above, with Pakon below:

Again, comparison below; Noritsu at left.

And finally:

Noritsu above, with Pakon below:

100% Crops; Noritsu at left:

Do I have a preference?

Well, I certainly wouldn’t get rid of either, but the high resolution of the Noritsu sure is nice…

9 thoughts on “Noritsu vs Pakon – FIGHT!

1. Karim Ghantous says:

Some lovely shots there.

I think I prefer the Pakon in every way. To my eyes, the Noritsu seems to render the same detail but with more graininess. Ditch it! 😛

Karim,

Thanks…but not gonna happen.

I’m still trying to sort out optimal focus on the Noritsu, but the fact is that the interface, resolution, and files are certainly more robust…especially for archival purposes. Not to write off the Pakon, but the Noritsu really just takes it to another level.

Best regards,

2. andygemmell says:

Mark….. you are the guru! I’d be hard pressed to know anyone as knowledgable and learned around film and everything associated with it as you.!

Fortunately we get to see all the results from that as well as learn!

3. -N- says:

Having the Pakon, it’s good to see how the Noritsu is in comparison, especially as I ponder to buy or not. I like the Pakon overall – less grain, and a bit cooler. For the price, I’ll stick with my Pakon (cuz I paid a much lower price than they are going for these days). Nice comparison!

Naomi,

I certainly can’t fault you for your conclusion–The Pakon is definitely a wonderful option for the original price!

Best,

4. Joe shoots resurrected cameras says:

Great comparisons! I think the grain is definitely more noticeable, though whether or not you can see more detail, I’m not sure. I’d like to see Noritsu’s highest resolution vs. Pakon upscaled to the same, for real comparison of detail! Also, I must tell you again how jealous I am, and wondering if I should sell one of my F335s and get an LS-600 now 😉