A Midsummer Night’s Allergy Season

These were scanned on the Epson V600, because the Opticfilm 120 is now starting to band in the blue channel.  Which means messed-up skies.  Even with different software.

Incidentally, it is now out of warranty.

Oh…and also it is listed as “Discontinued” by B&H.

So…unless you are happy with a flatbed (V800 or 850) or are prepared to fork out for a Flextight (send me one too, please!) your options for MF home scanning are rapidly waning.

(…aaaaaaand now it’s back.  Don’t know what to tell you…Except maybe Caveat Emptor).

13 thoughts on “A Midsummer Night’s Allergy Season

*cough* use your D810/DSLR/A7RIII *cough*

(I can’t keep up with your digital stuff now-a-days so I’m guessing at what’s available to you)

Jordan,

I know I’ve heard of people doing it–multiple shots per frame, and stitching and such–but I dislike the process for 35mm, so can’t imagine anything but a nightmare for 120. Flatness and registration and dust spotting and colour-correction oy vey!!

• jkjod says:

You send me a raw file I’ll show you how easy it is from there – I’m talking less than 1 minute processing. And I don’t think stitching is even necessary. Still better resolution than a V600. Let me prove you wrong!

2. Naomi Drew says:

I’ve been using the V600 for all my 120 film, 2400 dpi, and been quite happy with it. The biggest problem is the schmutz on the negatives and removing it in post.

Naomi,

Yeah it’s definitely not a BAD option…especially for the price. But the dust is certainly an issue, and the sharpness is just not quite *there* in comparison to the Opticfilm—even with the Betterscanning holder.

3. Karim D. Ghantous (@kdghantous) says:

Nice photos, particularly the first one.

You have a good point about camera scanning. I’ll be damned if I am going to waste any more time than I have to on RAW files. But I thought that the Epson scanners had ICE?

It would be nice on paper to construct a permanent scanning setup with an A7rIII set to high res mode. To do it properly would be time consuming.

• jkjod says:

No it’s not time consuming. Copy stands are a thing, and in fact are made for this exact thing. Don’t want to buy a copy stand? Use the tripod you have. Want a fail proof option, get a Leica BEOON and use it with whatever mirrorless camera you have. It’s. Not. That. Hard. Peeps. If you are going to take a picture wouldn’t you rather use literally any digital camera you own vs the “sensor” in a V600??

And I’m telling you, I can process and color correct a negative in under one minute, with really good results.

Jordan,

Seeing as how you seem to know what you are talking about (and speak with such conviction!) I am hereby going to certify you as Iftimestoodstill’s “Resident Expert in DSLR Scanning Excellence” and refer all further questions to you.

That being said, I am still…..OUT.

• jkjod says:

Nah I don’t think this is even the “easiest” or “best” solution. But it does work. And I am for sure no expert (at anything). Sorry I got testy there, but it’s an option none the less.

Naw…you didn’t get testy man.

In fact, I’m promoting you to “Executive President of DSLR-Scanning” at Iftimestoodstill Industries!

Congratulations, and welcome to the team.

(BTW: Your duties include intermittent childcare so that we can go out for dinner or something…)