The Key on the Kite

…Otherwise known as “accidental scientific discovery”.

😂

Did you know that Eastman 5222 could be pushed to ISO 800?

Well I didn’t…at least not until I shot and developed this roll.  Which I assumed was either Ilford HP5+, or Ilford Pan F+.  (Yes, one was ISO 400, and the other ISO 50).  Anyway, I was pretty sure it was HP5+, so I shot and developed it at ISO 800.  Using the Neopan 400 times.  Because I also had a roll of that in there.

(Listen don’t ask—My system sucks…I know that).

Suffice it to say, this is Eastman 5222 pushed to, and developed at ISO 800.  These photos have zero artistic merit, but I thought I’d put them up here for the public record.  They are developed in D76 1:1–if you want to do so, use the Fuji Neopan 400 @ ISO 800 times.

I hope that even makes sense.

9 thoughts on “The Key on the Kite

1. Karim D. Ghantous (@kdghantous) says:

These are really nice! My fave is number 6, where your younger son is staring at the laptop screen. I also like the last one, too. At first glance she’s imitating a teenaged slacker from the 90s (like me) but in fact you eventually notice that she is looking at the computer.

These are really good for ISO 800 – in fact there is little point in Tri-X at this speed, as far as I can tell. So you may as well save a few bucks and shoot 5222.

Thanks Karim,

I was very pleasantly surprised…which is why I posted them. I had never thought to try Double-X at 800—the times aren’t posted, and it is a two-stop push. That being said, it seems to be a happy accident.

2. Joe shoots resurrected cameras says:

Yup, I tried a few times, and they were really contrasty. Your results look better than mine! Dunno if you’ve seen this 400ft Project, worth checking out cause he shot Double-X at several different speeds and experimented with different developers. https://jkjod.wordpress.com/2014/10/10/400-foot-project/

I love Double-X for certain applications but haven’t found it to be versatile enough in limited light the way Tri-X is. A well-lit interior though, and it shines!

Joe,

That is “our” friend Jordan! I am definitely aware of his project, but didn’t notice if he tried 800 specifically…

Anyway, I definitely got lucky with these; hopefully I can repeat the success!

Ooh try microphen!! I would shoot double X at 800 all the time. Stock Microphen for 10 mins was what I decided on. When I did D-76 at 800 I did 20 mins. Bringing back good memories with that Double X! I can probably scrounge up some examples if you wanted them. I did actually “finish” the 400 ft project, I should post the rest of the rolls at some point. Anyway, I like the super contrasty-ness of double X pushed like this. So I’m a fan.

Jordan,

Well then, I have no sweet clue what is going on here, because these were developed in 1:1 for 8 minutes, at 26 degrees C (the equivalent of 13 min at 20 degrees C).

Further study needed.

😂

(And yes—post your rolls!!)

• jkjod says:

I do think it can handle a wide variety of developing times to be honest.

My standard (EI 250 “ish”) in D-76 became 10 mins. But I started with 8 and I still got good results.

I even rated it at 1600 and was still happy (roll 7 for your viewing pleasurse).

Well (I am obviously proud to say…) in addition to your many other titles, I am hereby appointing you Special Counsel (5222) to Iftimestoodstill, and also this site’s resident Double-X-ologist.

huzzah!

• jkjod says:

Well I can’t take credit for any of that – there is an *extremely* long thread of RFF of people experimenting and posting results. It was Tom A’s (RIP) fave film and he had looaaaads of examples with all sorts of developers. I cherry picked what I could get my hands on.