The Difference

Well, the ‘ole V600 died yesterday.

I though about picking up another one, but after much hand-wringing, decided to spring for a V800 instead.

This is the best I could produce with either scanner.  Same treatment in scanning, conversion (NLP) and post-processing.

Worth the extra?

12 thoughts on “The Difference

1. -N- says:

Are you happy with it?

Neg Lab Pro makes a big difference. Eric at Film Photography School talks about and details wet-mounting with his V850: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEZO_EepVbA and Nate at NLP talks about scanning using a digital camera, as do others.

I have decided to wait and see for now what Santa brings, but plan to give the digital scanning method a try as it is cheaper with what I have than spending the big bucks for a V800 or V850, but I would like to try both for comparison.

Merry Christmas!

Hi Naomi,

It definitely produces a file with more “depth”–however, the V600 can certainly hold its own. Although the Digital ICE seems to work better, the law of “diminishing returns” is probably at play here.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to you and your family as well!

2. Ian says:

I prefer the first looks more film like, second looks like details have been etched out ok on landscape but not portrait.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the response–interesting that you would prefer the first file. I am not sure I completely follow what you mean by “etched-out” but there is slightly more contrast in the second file which may cause certain areas to appear almost blown-out.

In any case, Merry Christmas to you and yours!

3. Ian says:

Thanks Mark same to you and your family, I think I am just in awe of how the Fuji frontier gets it right especially in portraits, flatbeds just come across as trying to hard if that makes sense. If not remember I am from Australia 😎

4. ian says:

Maybe a better way to put it is scanners like Fuji Frontier, Noritsu and Pakon keep film film like flatbeds turn the images digital by etching or tying to draw out too much detail.

Hi Joe,

Unfortunately the Opticfilm Pro seems to be nothing other than vapourware at present…and I’m actually not convinced that it is anything other than a slight rebadge of the (quirky) original.

In any case—No 4×5 for me!!!

Merry Christmas,

5. seatacphoto1951 says:

I have the V850 and the PrimeFilmXE (no the XEs). The XE has much more resolution but much slower in that it scans one at a time. If there are any problems with a black and white negative it will find it… dust or scratches. On color film, it cleans up well with software.